How to Jailbreak Roku and Install Kodi (Full Tutorial)
Are you looking for a complete guide to Jailbreak Roku and Install Kodi? Well, in this article, I’ll show you the exact methods to stream Kodi movies and TV shows on your Roku device.
So without wasting any further time, let’s dive right into the article.
Get A VPN Service Before Using Kodi
Kodi is a well-known online streaming service. However, some of the third-party add-ons can be dangerous; hence, ISPs have blocked Kodi.
Even if you use Kodi, they track everything like throttling, time spent on the app and even the connections get disconnected automatically.
So, to get rid of this problem and stay hidden, you have to use a premium VPN service.
A VPN will hide your online identity which means that you won’t have to worry while using Kodi or any of its third-party add-ons.
We use and recommend IPVanish. It’s one of the best VPN service providers in the market. Let’s see what all features you get with the tool.
If you’re looking to use Kodi without leaking your online identity, IPVanish will save you from all the mess.
It’s a fast VPN that supports both HD and 4K streams. Apart from that, you can easily browse through third-party Kodi add-ons and download the content without any privacy issues.
With over 1000+ servers in 60+ countries, you get the AES-256 bit encryption technology that keeps all your browsing data secure.
IPVanish offers you a free 7-day money-back guarantee, so you’re free to try the tool. The pricing starts at $3.25/mo (annually) for the first year and then $11.99/mo (annually).
Also, NordVPN is a great alternative for low monthly pricing and great service in time.
Can you install Kodi on Roku?
Jailbreaking Roku is applied to iOS devices. Whereas, for Android, it’s rooting.
Both these techniques are applied when you want to install apps that aren’t officially allowed or encouraged by the companies.
If you talk about install Roku by jailbreaking Roku or rooting, that isn’t possible as Roku has its operating system which can’t be installed with these methods.
Instead of rooting and jailbreaking Roku, we can mirror Kodi directly on the Roku device.
Sounds so good to be true? Let’s have a look at some of the practical steps to achieve it.
How to Mirror Kodi Instead of Jailbreaking Roku?
In this section of the article, we will have a look at an alternative method of installing Kodi on your Roku device.
As Jailbreaking isn’t possible for most of us and as Kodi doesn’t support the Roku operating system, to make things easy, we will mirror Kodi to Roku without much effort.
Let’s get started.
Step 1: Enable Roku Screen Mirroring
The first thing to do before we even start the entire process is to turn on screen mirroring on Roku. It’s a straightforward process to do.
Let’s find out.
- Open up your Roku app and click on the home button to enter the main menu screen.
- Head over to Settings > System
- Here, select Screen Mirroring from the available menu.
- From the available options, either click on the Prompt or Always allow option.
- That’s all you need to do. Go back to the Roku home screen.
Step 2: Install Kodi on Android/iOS
Now that we have done setting up Roku, it’s time to set up Kodi on our secondary device which can be an Android/iOS or any other streaming device.
Android works the best and hence is recommended in most of the cases. Here, we will show you the step-by-step process of mirroring it on an Android device.
- The first step is to open up the Google Play Store on your Android device
- In the search bar search for Kodi and hit Enter.
- You’ll see the Kodi app in Google Play Store click on it and Install the app.
- Accept all the permissions that come up on the screen.
- Once downloaded, install the Kodi application and open it to see if it works properly or not.
Step 3: Set up Screen Mirroring
If you plan to use any streaming devices with Kodi, you first have to set up screen mirroring. Following are the steps to instantly turn screen mirroring on Kodi and enjoy movies starting from today.
- On your Android smartphone, go to Settings.
- Here, search for the device and choose Display.
- Now, search for the screen mirroring option and open it.
- Next up, if you have set up your Roku screen mirroring correctly, you’ll see it in the available options to pair.
- Finally, click on the Roku device to set up a screen mirroring connection.
Step 4: Start Screen Mirroring
As both your devices are connected and perfectly mirrored, it’s time to enjoy watching movies on Kodi.
Let’s have a quick look at how to start screen mirroring.
- Turn on your TV and connect your Roku device and log in to your account.
- Now, open the Kodi app on your Android device which you installed.
- Select any movie or TV show to stream on your device.
- Start the movie or TV show and it should be displayed on your TV.
If after following this process, you still aren’t able to connect Roku and Kodi, you need to check your Wi-Fi connection.
Both the devices (your Roku device and smartphone) have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Alternatives to Streaming from Android
Not everyone in the world uses an Android phone or tablet. In this section, I’ll discuss with you alternate ways to use different operating systems to use Kodi.
1) Mirror Kodi to Roku in Windows OS
As you might already know, Windows is the most popular OS on the planet. Moreover, it has all the tools and software available to mirror Kodi into Roku. Following is a step-by-step process of mirroring Kodi to Roku in an easy to follow way.
Before we do the mirroring process, you first need to install Kodi on your Windows PC.
- First off, head over to the official website of Kodi.
- Here, on the top right corner of your screen, click on the blue “Download” button.
- Now scroll down and select Windows from all the available options.
- Finally, a popup will come on your screen from that select the “Installer (64bit)” version.
- Right after it in a couple of seconds, your download will begin.
Now that you have successfully downloaded and installed Kodi on your Windows PC, it’s time to mirror it on Roku.
DISCLAIMER: The process will work in most of the Windows OS; however, it might not work for a few of you depending on the type of hardware. If the method mentioned below doesn’t support your system, you won’t be able to cast it through Windows. In that case, the Android phone is your best bet.
- First of all, open the control center from the taskbar in the lower right corner. To open it directly, simultaneously press Windows+P key.
- Search for the option that says Project and select it.
- From the available list of options, click on PC screen only.
- Next up, select your Roku device for mirroring.
- Finally, click on start mirroring your screen option to establish a connection.
2) Mirror Kodi to Roku in Mac OS
Sadly, it isn’t possible to cast content from Kodi to Roku due to the Apple AirPlay technology. You cannot do anything in this and there’s no workaround available either.
To solve this problem, you can make use of the Plex app which is available for all the operating systems available on the planet.
Install the Kodi app on your Macbook from the official website. Next, install the Plex extension in your Kodi app to stream content on Roku.
3) Mirror Kodi in iOS
Mirroring content on an iOS device unlike the Macbook is as simple as installing the official Roku app and that’s it.
The process is pretty straightforward and all you have to do is search for the Roku app in the App Store and install it.
- The first step is to install the Kodi app on your iOS Device.
- Next, as mentioned above, install the Roku app on your Apple device.
- Open up the Roku app scroll down and search for the Play on Roku section in the app.
- Finally, open Kodi and select your favorite movie or TV show to start streaming it.
NOTE: Make sure you’ve properly connected your Roku device with the TV before you start streaming any content.
Best Kodi Add-ons on Roku
After you have successfully mirrored your Device from Kodi to Roku, it’s time to install some great and free third-party Kodi add-ons to enjoy movies and TV shows.
- The Magic Dragon
- Tubi TV
Once you have installed all great add-ons, you can now stream all the content available for free directly from Kodi to Roku.
I hope you found the article on how to Jailbreak Roku stick helpful. If you did, don’t forget to share it with your friends.
For any further doubts on how to install Kodi on Roku, feel free to leave a comment below and let me know.
Which is your favorite method for installing Kodi on Roku? Let me know in the comments.