Top 6 Engineering streams that you need to look out for!
Engineering courses have always been one of the most popular undergraduate courses in India. Nearly 12 lakh students appear for JEE Main every year, the entrance examination for admissions to undergraduate engineering courses. This shows that engineering has never lost its charm and perhaps never will. Here we will discuss about the engineering streams or courses that are most popular among engineering aspirants.
The most common question all the engineering aspirants ask before taking the admission- which is the best engineering stream or branch or specialization? Although, as per standards, all the branches of engineering are equally good. What matters is what is your interest? So, never choose a branch you have no interest in, on the basis of shallow parameters like hefty pay packages!
Best institutes to pursue engineering degree include IITs, NITs, IT-BHU, Indian School of Mines- Dhanbad, IIITs, and BITS Pilani etc. The admissions to all the engineering colleges is done on the basis of JEE Main cut off, except IITs. For IITs you have to take JEE Advanced, after qualifying JEE Main.
So, selecting an engineering stream can be very difficult as you don’t have much idea about engineering before. You often get confused in deciding to which factor you should give importance while choosing the stream of your interest. Here, we have listed out the top engineering branches based previous trends like career opportunities and the past preferences of other engineering aspirants.
- Computer Science & Engineering: CSE has been the most sought after engineering course in India for a long time. The main attraction of this branch is that it offers higher pay packages than any other branch as well as it has ample job opportunities. If you have an interest in database management and website/application development, you should opt for this engineering stream. CSE graduates start their career as trainees or development engineers and then move on to designations like design engineer, project manager and eventually Chief Technical Officer of the company.
- Expected Salary- Your starting salary as a fresher computer engineer from a reputed institute can range anywhere between Rs 4.5 lakh to Rs 6 lakh per annum. As you move up the management ranks, your salary can go be Rs 20 lakh to Rs 30 lakh per annum.
- Top Recruiters- Some of the top companies that hire CSE engineers include Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, IBM, Oracle, Infosys, TCS, and Wipro etc.
- Mechanical Engineering: Mechanical engineering has termed as evergreen engineering branch. There will always be opportunities for ME graduates. It is one of the oldest and most demanding branches of engineering and therefore the broadest career opportunities are available for mechanical engineers. As a mechanical engineer, you will get to design, analysis, manufacture and maintain anything related to machines.
- Expected Salary- Entry-level salaries range from Rs 1.8 lakh to Rs 3.6 lakh per annum depending on the job profile. Salary hikes in mechanical field depend on your performance and additional skills you acquire. After having an experience of 5 to 10 years you can expect up to 10 LPA depending on the industry.
- Top Recruiters- The mechanical engineering may get you an opportunity in working with some of the most reputed government and private organizations. These companies include ISRO, DRDO, Indian Railway, TATA Motors, General Motors, BHEL, Reliance Industries, Ashoka Leyland, Mahindra & Mahindra etc.
- Electronics & Communication Engineering: The telecommunications & mobile phone industry have progressed exceptionally well in the past few years. So, it would offer excellent opportunities to ECE graduates. You learn all about digital electronics and logic design, fundamentals of communication engineering, electronic circuits, signals and systems, power electronics, applied electromagnetic theory, integrated circuits, VLSI etc. while studying ECE. If you have an interest in Calculus and Physics, you should go for this stream.
- Expected Salary: If you have done your degree from a good institution, you can expect salary package between Rs 2.4 lakh and Rs 6 lakh a year as a fresher. After having work experience, the salary may go up to 10 to 12 lpa depending on the industry.
- Top Recruiters: Some of the main recruiters for this stream are Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Intel, Samsung Electronics, Sony, Toshiba, Philips, LG Electronics, Nokia, CISCO etc.
- Electrical Engineering: This is the oldest and the core branch of engineering, which always had a steady demand in India and abroad. All electricity boards, power sector organizations like NTPC, PSUs, railways, defense forces, manufacturing sector, etc. require electrical engineers. They are also hired by IT sector for ERP solutions and software development.
- Expected Salary- The starting salaries for electrical engineering Freshers may range from Rs. 1.8 Lakh PA to Rs. 4.5 Lakh PA and depends upon the institute from which he gets the degree and the company he gets recruited into.
- Top Recruiters- Shell, TATA Technologies, DRDO, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, HCL technologies, Google, Microsoft, the Power grid corporation of India Ltd, Samsung, Sony Corporation etc. are some of the most renowned recruiters in this field.
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering: There are always a lot of openings for this stream in both the government and private sectors. You might get to work in steel factories, the railways, construction sites or handle automated systems in companies. You will learn about transmission and generation of electrical power, electrical circuit design, electronics, instrumentation, control systems, etc. while studying electrical & electronics engineering.
- Expected Salary- An entry-level electrical and electronics engineer earns about 20,000-30,000 Rs. per month as a trainee. At a middle-level technical position, after having work ex of a project head or team leader, can get Rs 8 to 10 lakhs per annum. At the managerial level, a senior manager can earn up to 15 lpa.
- Top Recruiters- Some companies that give placements to electrical and electronics engineers are Bajaj International Private Ltd., Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Centre for Electronics Design and Technology, Crompton Greaves Limited (CGL), Siemens, Reliance power Ltd. etc.
- Civil Engineering: This sector is looking up these days, mainly due to the numerous infrastructure projects that are in the pipeline for India. You will be helping in building roads, bridges, dams, canals, seaports, power plants and airports. As a student, you will get to study Fluid Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Design of Structures, Structural Mechanics and Water resource engineering etc.
- Expected Salary- A fresher Civil engineer can make anywhere between 2.4 to 3.6 lpa depending upon the institute from which one completes one’s degree. After having 15 to 20 years of work experience you can earn 8 to 12 lpa. In the government sector, you can get promoted to the CPWD director post that has a very lucrative pay package.
- Top Recruiters- You would get the opportunity to work in some reputed government and private organizations like Indian Railways, Engineers India Ltd., DRDO, ISRO, PWD, DLF etc. after getting a degree in Civil engineering.
Based on these important parameters, you can easily get a fair idea about all these top engineering streams. So, based on your interest, you choose from any of these that best suits your need of pursuing an engineering degree.
Latest posts by Pavan Jadhav (see all)
- Why Aren’t Office Chairs Fit for Gaming? - Jun 13, 2018
- AOMEI Partition Assistant: Reliable Windows Partition Manager - Jun 12, 2018
- 4 Basic SEO Mistakes Your Blog is Making - Jun 8, 2018