All you need to know about GATE 2017
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) for the academic session 2017-18 will be held in February, 2017 and online applications for the same was started from September 2016. GATE examination has several categories and examination will be conducted for all of them. Top Branches for GATE examination are as follows:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Architectural Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Geology and Geophysics
As per the GATE 2017 Exam Pattern, the exam will be held in online mode i.e. Computer Based Test for all 23 papers. There will be two category of questions included in the GATE Exam. One category will be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and other will be Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Based. Aspirants have to use the virtual keyboard for entering the answer for numerical type questions.
There will be total of 65 questions consisting of 100 marks in all; the GATE Exam will be for duration of 3 hours. GATE Exam will be conducted in two sessions one forenoon and one afternoon on Saturday and Sunday i.e. from 09:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 02:00 p.m. to 05:00 p.m. The session timings will differ according to the local time of the place for the international candidates. GATE Exam will be held on 04, 05, 11 and 12 February, 2017 at various GATE exam centers.
GATE Exam is an online exam so that, therefore the aspirants will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. For answering the questions, aspirants must enter the answer (for MCQs type) or enter the answer for numerical type questions on the virtual keyboard. Aspirants will not be able to use the computer keyboard because it will be disabled.
Aspirants will also be provided with a scribble pad for rough work and these have to be returned after the examination. At the end of the examination duration, the computer screen will be automatically closed.
GATE Exam Pattern consists of two categories of questions First is MCQs type and second is Numerical Type and the marking scheme for each category type of questions will be different. The details of the same are: there are many categories of questions some carry 1 mark for which the negative marking will be of 1/3 mark for every wrong answer, while some carry 2 marks for which the negative marks will be 2/3 for every wrong answer. However there is no negative marking for Numerical Answer Type questions.
The GATE Exam Pattern for the two different categories of questions is:
(i) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ): This category of questions are objective in nature and each question will have four options out of which the aspirants have to mark the correct answer(s). This category of questions fetches you 1 or 2 marks each in all paper and sections.
(ii) Numerical Answer Type (NAT): The answer to these types of questions will be in real number and answer to be entered will be done by using the virtual keyboard. This category of questions fetches you 1 or 2 marks each in all paper and sections.
Other than the questions from the core subjects of the paper, the paper will also have some questions to test the general ability of the candidate like- Language and Analytical Skills. 15% of the questions from all the papers will be based on GA hence, 15% questions of GA carry a total of 15 marks. The distribution of the marks and questions are as follows:
- 1 mark each: 5 questions therefore, total 5 marks
- 2 mark each: 5 questions therefore, total 10 marks
15% of the total marks are allotted to the General Aptitude and the rest 85% will carry questions from the core subject for papers in the disciplines of Architecture and Planning, Chemistry, Ecology and Evolution, Geology and Geophysics, Mathematics, Physics and Life Sciences.
15% of the examination will be devoted to the GA section and another 15% to be allotted to the Engineering Mathematics sections for all the other subject streams. And remaining 70% Questions will carry from the core subject of paper.
Latest posts by Pavan Jadhav (see all)
- What Should You Be Looking for in An Extended Warranty Policy for Your Smartphone? - Jan 18, 2019
- The Rise of Esports: 5 Common Health Risks to Be Vary of If You Decide to Become a Pro Gamer - Jan 10, 2019
- Landscape Website Design:10 Ways To Improve Your Landscaping Website’s Homepage - Jan 10, 2019